Staying active is important under normal circumstances, as it helps with weight management, disease prevention, and mental health. There are other reasons to stay active during the COVID-19 outbreak, even during shelter-in-place restrictions and mandates to maintain at least 6 feet of distance between people.
- Lifts mood, which is critical when faced with the challenge of staying inside and finding alternative activities to do to substitute for some of your usual ones.
- Improves cholesterol profile and lowers blood pressure, which can help lower risk for heart disease.
- Helps you sleep better and manage stress better, which can both be difficult when schedules are disrupted.
A New Disease
COVID-19 is a new disease and there is limited information regarding risk factors for severe disease. Based on currently available information and clinical expertise, older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
Based on what we know now, those at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are:
- People aged 65 years and older
- People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
- People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised*
- People with diabetes
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
Combatting obesity and other metabolic diseases is a core component of CrossFit. As we all adapt to a new normal, we want to ensure that we are doing our part to empower our members to continue to take control of their health, fitness and lives through healthy activity and eating. This is being done through the continuance of our first rate class programming, as well as providing Black Hive at Home workouts, modified versions of the class metcons intended to be done with easy to access items you can find around your home.
In addition, we are continuing our daily workout videos, with coach explanations, advice, tips and tricks, intended stimulus, and movement demos. To find these, swing over to our Youtube Page, or follow the link posted everyday on Wodify under “WOD Breakdown.”